Car accidents are always unexpected and hugely stressful. Stay calm and try to control your emotions. Get support from people you feel you can trust and follow some of our suggestions below:
- Be Safe
- If the car accident is minor, then move the car out of “harm’s way” such as to the shoulder of the road.
- If you are unable to move the car, 1) confirm that the vehicle is in the "Park" position, 2) turn off the engine, and 3) engage the hazard lights.
- Check to see if it is safe for you to get out of the car. If it is safe and you are uninjured, exit the vehicle.
- Use warning triangles and safety cones to alert others of the accident if they are available.
- Seek Help
- Check for injuries to yourself and others; always err on the side of caution by calling an ambulance if anyone's injuries appear questionable.
- No matter how minor the accident may seem, contact the police. A police report is important in determining fault during the claims process.
- If you have injured a pedestrian or another driver, never leave the scene of the accident. Leaving the scene of the accident could be construed as a "hit-and-run" and might further subject you to criminal charges and penalties.
- Gather Information
- Collect details from others involved in the accident.
- Drivers and passengers: names and contact information
- Driver's license numbers
- License plate numbers
- Vehicle descriptions (make, model, year)
- Insurance companies and policy numbers
- Eyewitnesses: names and contact information
- Location of accident - exact address, if possible
- Police officer: name and badge number
- Capture photos of all vehicles involved and the accident scene
- Only sign your insurance form or police report, no other documents
- Cooperate but do not admit to fault
- File a Claim
- A claim can be started immediately at the location of the accident
- Keep track of medical expenses
- Keep track of repair expenses
- A claim can also be filed online
- Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible
- Call for Vehicle Assistance
Contact your insurance company or local towing business for roadside help if your vehicle cannot be driven
- Contact Litman & Litman, P.C.
Litman & Litman PC car accident lawyers are available around the clock to answer your call and evaluate the circumstances of your accident. We will take a straightforward approach to evaluating your circumstances, your claim, and your chances of receiving a judgment.
IF YOU HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT AND NEED IMMEDIATE LEGAL ASSISTANCE PLEASE CALL:
TOLL-FREE: 1-800-LAW-4334 (1-800-529-4334)
JEFFREY E. LITMAN, ESQ. 516-353-1500
KEN LITMAN ESQ. 516-359-6333
We are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.