Car accidents are always unexpected and hugely stressful stay calm and try to control your emotions. Get support from people you feel you can trust.:
- Be Safe
- Move the car out of harm’s way, such as the shoulder of the road if the car accident is minor.
- If unable to move the car, confirm that the vehicle is in Park position, turn the engine off, and engage the hazard lights.
- Check that it is safe for you to get out of the car and then do so.
- If available, use warning triangles or safety cones to alert others of the accident.
- Seek Help
- Check for injuries - your own and others who are involved; always err on the side of calling an ambulance if injuries are questionable.
- Contact the police, no matter how minor the accident. A police report is useful in the claims process while determining who was at fault.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident if you are the driver who has injured a pedestrian or the other driver. You could be considered a hit-and-run driver and subject to criminal penalties.
- Gather Information
- Collect details from others involved in the accident.
- Drivers and passengers: names and contact information
- Driver's license numbers
- License plate numbers
- Vehicle descriptions (make, model, year)
- Insurance companies and policy numbers
- Eyewitnesses: names and contact information
- Location of accident - exact address, if possible
- Police officer: name and badge number
- Capture photos of all vehicles involved and the accident scene
- Only sign your insurance form or police report, no other documents
- Cooperate but do not admit to fault
- File a Claim
- A claim can be started immediately at the location of the accident
- Keep track of medical expenses
- Keep track of repair expenses
- A claim can also be filed online
- Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible
- Call for Vehicle Assistance
Contact your insurance company or local towing business for roadside help if your vehicle cannot be driven
- Contact Litman & Litman, P.C.
Litman & Litman PC car accident lawyers are available around the clock to answer your call and evaluate the circumstances of your accident. We will take a straightforward approach to evaluating your circumstances, your claim, and your chances of receiving a judgment.
IF YOU HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT AND NEED IMMEDIATE LEGAL ASSISTANCE PLEASE CALL:
TOLL-FREE: 1-800-LAW-4334 (1-800-529-4334)
JEFFREY E. LITMAN, ESQ. 516-353-1500
KEN LITMAN ESQ. 516-359-6333
We are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.